Monday, January 15, 2007

Raising Children in Your Spare Time

I pulled out one of my old time favorite books on child rearing to see what it had to say about two-year-olds now that both babies, (uh toddlers,) are two.

They seem to be learning a new word daily, plus learning how to open and close doors among other scary lessons. And they are learning how to push mama's and grandmother dearest's buttons by refusing to put on jackets, deciding that their formerly favorite meal is now poison and having contrary opinions about everything.

"How to Raise Children at Home in Your Spare Time" written in 1966 by Dr. Marvin J. Gersh, was a book I initally found at the Austin Public Library when I was pregnant with Elizabeth, so at least 38 years ago. It's a little out of date now, but it was reassuring with practical and tongue-in-cheek advice. His theory seemed to be that childraising was too serious to be taken seriously.

However, I think I need to get Vicki Iovine's toddler book to see what she advises about this new stage.

No comments: