Friday, January 5, 2007

Death & Funerals

I admit I've watched all of Gerald Ford's funeral proceedings. What beautiful music! And what a trooper Betty Ford is - 88 years old and holding up through all that (probably without the consolation of Scotch).

Do you wonder about all those military people who play in the Air Force Band and are honored to stand watch over or carry the casket? How do they get that assignment? Do they get to sign up for the band, or do they have to serve in combat first? The pomp and circumstance is very impressive.

It made me think that when Megan and Andy (both now two - ten weeks apart) graduate from high school, I'll be 79! Granted, my grandmothers lived to be in their 90s and Mother was 84 - but still.

It makes me sad that they won't know much about my little home town or their grandparents and great-grandparents in Pecos or their Dallas grandparents (who were so much older).

I'm going to have to write down stuff that they probably won't be interested in reading about until they are all grown up - if then.

Meanwhile, remember I don't want any sopranos singing at my funeral. Save the stories for the wake.

No comments: