Sunday, June 22, 2008

Grammar

I originally titled my blog everybodysentitled because I thought that 's weren't allowed. My youngest daughter suggested - a lot more kindly than I usually correct someone else's grammar - that it should either be "everybody's entitled" or "everybodies entitled".

I plead ignorance of blogging rather than a grammatical error, however, and see that I can use an apostrophe and a space in there. I give Mary credit for catching the error. It is pretty great to point out other people's errors.

I've just finished reading Harry Hunsicker's "Still River". He's a Dallas author who spoke at our Issues and Interests Junior League Sustainer Group last year. He's also president of the Mystery Writer's Guild this year. This is his first novel with his hero Lee Henry Oswald - which is pretty funny considering Lee Harvey Oswald's role in Dallas history. I enjoyed the story with lots of action and with lots of Dallas landmarks playing a part in the story. He could have used a better editor, though. I'll check his later books to see if it is worth writing to his publisher.

Now, if she'd just come home and explain why my iPod copied the first part of Jeffery Archer's excellent novel "Prisoner of Birth" and won't let me download part two, even though it is on my iTunes list.

A fake fingernail update: I noticed that my nails grow pretty quickly and went back for what I thought was called a "fill" which I imagined was more pink goop near the cuticle - but the girl sanded off the old stuff and put on new stuff. It looks to me like most of the fake plastic nail is now off and the acrylic just covers my natural nail.

It has been interesting to have really strong nails that can pry up the ring on a Diet Coke with no problem and that drumming my nails now has a neat click to it. The only problem I have (except for worrying what this stuff is doing to my real nails) is that I have trouble setting my watch, since the nails are too thick to easily pry the stem.

No comments: