Monday, July 30, 2007

Clothing, Talbots, Chico's

For someone who doesn't look any better than I do, it is surprising how much time I spend trying to find something to wear. Of course, I want to look, if not thin (too much to ask), then at least trim and somewhat classic.

Today I looked for some dress shoes - you know, the kind that you wear with a short cocktail dress or a pant suit not made of cotton. No deal. I talked to one shoe salesman and asked for an evening shoe with a 2 inch heel, file or microfiber, black, closed toe and not pointy-toe. How hard is that - a regular shoe! "Nothing like that this year," he said. As if that were something out of Harry Potter's Muggle catalog!

Looking for a jacket to wear in Florida in October is also fruitless. Lots of print jersey (ugh! and lots of pseudo-maternity tops (those 100% cotton (have to be ironed) blouses with a band under the boobs) (double ugh!)

For a nation with millions of boomers, who is going to clothe women of a certain age? Even Talbots, my former fave, hasn't tempted me to spend my two $25 coupons. And Chico's has gone mad with stuff I wouldn't wear at any price.

No comments: